History of Engine House No. 5
Engine House No 5 was originally constructed in 1880 on the banks of the Grand River in downtown Grand Rapids Michigan on the corner of Leonard and Monroe Streets. This historic station served the Grand Rapids community for 100 years.
In 1980 she was slated for demolition in order to make way for a brand new fire station to be located in her footprint. A deal was negotiated and the building was purchased for $1.00
Beginning in the fall of 1981 the building was disassembled brick by brick and transported to its current location in Allendale. The disassembly took 10 weeks and 2 days. Reconstruction of Engine House No. 5 began in 1981 and was opened to the public in May 1986 as a museum.
- Engine House No 5 Museum is an active part of the community; dedicated to preserve the heritage and traditions of firefighting through the presentation of stories, photographs and artifacts to enhance our visitors’ experiences.
A great small town pride was taken in her dazzling architecture and in her horse drawn steamer.
The building had been painted red and the watch tower removed to make way for a face clock.
Between the 1950s and this photo the clock tower was completely removed.
Engine House No. 5 today as she sits at her new home in Allendale.